About Us » Tindley History

Tindley History

During the mid-1990s the United North East Community (UNEC) made a commitment to the City of Indianapolis and the citizens of the Avondale-Meadows community. They vowed to revitalize the worn down neighborhood and improve quality of life for the citizens.
 
The need for a high-quality education option in the Meadows community was evident and Charles A. Tindley Accelerated School became a part of the movement in 2003. Community officials urged the Tindley founding Board of Directors to occupy the vacant Cub Foods building, which had been empty for five years. That year, Tindley purchased the building through a bond issue held by The National Bank of Indianapolis and began plans for offering a quality education for children in the Avondale-Meadows community.
 
Since that time, Tindley has grown to serve more than 1100 students each year across three schools. Charles A. Tindley Accelerated School serves youth in grades 7th through 12th, and Tindley Summit Academy and Tindley Genesis Academy serve children in grades kindergarten through 6th grade.
 
Today, Tindley is known for it's rigorous accelerated coursework and strongly adheres to its motto of "College or Die". All staff are fully dedicated to providing scholars with the expectations of a college education in the supportive environment of high school. The expectation is to prepare them to not only go to an accredited college or university, but to graduate.